I have to hop on the “Best of” list bandwagon before January is over and they become passé.
Instead of listing out everything I loved in 2014 – of which there were many – I will simply list things I discovered in 2014 that quickly ascended to the “HG” (HG = Holy Grail) status.
1. Neostrata Hydra-Infusion 24 Hr Hydrating Serum $38 CAD (all prices on my blog will be in Canadian Dollars unless otherwise specified) for 30ml (available at Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall – all availability information will be from a Canadian perspective)
This was my daily daytime serum and it provided much needed moisture to my dehydrated skin without interfering with my base makeup.
2. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation $41 for 30ml (available online at Illamasqua.com and beautybay.com)
At first I could not make this foundation work for me (looked cakey and mask-like). Then I realized I was using way too much, and the best application method was with a Beauty Blender type sponge. This foundation provides a skin-like finish that covers most imperfections with good lasting power.
3. KATE Stick Concealer $12 fo 3.1g (available online – I bought mine on ebay.ca)
An emollient, natural looking concealer that I use to cover redness around my nose and hyperpigmentation. Its creamy texture make it ideal for touch-ups and it has found a spot in my purse.
4. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color $34 for 1.6g (available at Sephora stores and online)
This eye shadow pencil applies smoothly and deposits opaque colour – when used as a base for powder eye shadow, it provides a crease-free eye look for a full day. I want more…
5. Cover Girl Clump Crusher Mascara $10 for 13.1ml (available at Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall)
This is the perfect everyday no-brainer mascara that doesn’t flake, smudge, or – as claimed – clump. And although it is not advertised as a water-resistant formula, it does not run if my eyes water.
6. Trish McEvoy Mistake-proof Sheer Application Brush $50 USD (available at Holt Renfrew and online)
Plus every Trish McEvoy brush I’ve ever laid my hands on! They’re just the softest, most effortless brushes on the market. This particular one is a bronzer style brush with dual fibres that applies powder in a sheer, even layer.
7. Clinique Cheek Pop Blush $24 for 3.5g (available at at department stores and where Clinique is sold)
Besides the adorable poppy design, this blush delivers on pigmentation, blendability, and longevity. I wish Clinique would offer more shades!
8. Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Nail Lacquer $22 for 13ml (available at Sephora stores and online)
I waited too long to try this formula – it’s everything that others have raved about: easy application, long lasting, and offered in an array of modern colours and finishes.
9. NEST Dahlia & Vines Perfume $30 for 8ml rollerball (available at Sephora stores and online)
This was an end of year discovery since I got a NEST sampler kit from Sephora’s Black Friday sale. Out of the 3 scents, this one immediately became my favourite – it’s a soft feminine floral scent (peony and rose) that isn’t too sweet.
I haven’t gone too in-depth on each of the items on the list, as I intent to devote individual posts to each, since they’re just that good!
Did you discover anything new in 2014 that you love?
Product links are simply informational, none of them are affiliates. C’mon, I just started blogging, I aint’t got no affiliate links!