I haven’t done a Chit Chat Tuesday in ages and I miss them!
Today’s chat is a quick one: What are your thoughts on the practice of regifting?
Personally, I’m not against it. If a gift you received isn’t something you’d use, why not pass it onto someone else who might? I’ve regifted especially food / alcoholic items that we just receive too much of – they’re generic enough that they won’t raise red flags. And conversely, I’m certain that I’ve received presents that were regifts. I didn’t mind since I was able to use the items that I received. Isn’t it the thought that counts? 😉
Here’s a quick list of what I feel is regiftable:
• Box of chocolates / cookies
• Wine or alcohol of any sort
• Unused bath & body care items (hand cream, shower gel – those gift sets that your aunt grabbed at the Body Shop)
• Generic vase / bowl / tea set / crystal figurines
These are NOT regiftable:
• Underwear / socks
• Clothing of any sort (unless you donate it to a charity)
• Family heirloom / antique items
• Personalized items: engraved box with your name on it, embroidered monogram handkerchief
• Handmade items: the gifter knitted / crocheted / découpaged the present with their own two hands! Just stuff the gift in the back of your closet for the next 20 years or until the gifter passes away, whichever is first…
Of course, the trick is to regift to a different social circle (family, friends, work) than the one in which the gift originally came from!
What are your thoughts on regifting? Have you ever regifted, or suspected that someone gave YOU a regifted present? Sound off in the comments!