Starting this Friday, I’ll be on a road trip! We’ll be heading to northern parts of our province, also known as “cottage country” (don’t let the word “cottage” fool you, they have multi-million dollar homes that are owned by Hollywood celebs), and then heading to Ottawa. We’ll be staying mostly at Bed & Breakfasts (B&Bs) which are essentially rooms or a portion of someone’s house. They’re more homey than hotels – and usually the breakfasts (included) are amazing! We won’t exactly be roughing it, but I will be fairly low-key in terms of attire and makeup. I always ask myself 3 questions when packing makeup for a trip:
- Do I really need it?
- Is it the smallest / most compact item I own of that product category?
- Would I be devastated if I lost it or it got broken during the trip?
Keeping these in mind, here is what I’m packing for our 9-day trip.
I typically carry my makeup roll for the cosmetic items and a separate bag for skincare. The makeup roll was a gwp from Smashbox, and the cute travel bag is from Consonant Skincare.
I know most “what’s in my travel bag” posts feature makeup, but for me, skincare is more important. I don’t skimp or skip steps on skincare on vacation! That’s why I hoard gwp sizes of my favourite products so that I can bring them with me when I travel. 🙂
• Shiseido The Skincare Instant Eye and Lip Makeup Remover – gwp size
• Vichy Calming Cleansing Micellar Solution – gwp size
• Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Balancing Softener – gwp size
• The Face Shop THE THERAPY Essential Formula Emulsion and Secret-Made Anti-Aging Cream – gwp sizes – I’ve been trying these for a couple of weeks prior to the trip to make sure my skin gets on with them and so far so good – I’ll be doing a review soon (Pro-tip: avoid trying out new skincare / makeup while on vacation! You never know if it’s going to disagree with your skin.)
• Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye cream
• Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream SPF 32 PA+++
• MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ – travel size
• Consonant Skincare The Perfect Sunscreen – picked up the travel size version just for this trip! (shown above with the corresponding full size bottles for scale)
• Consonant Skincare Natural Foaming Face Wash – travel size
• MAC Cleanse Off Oil – I decant from my full sized bottle to the travel size one, which I’m reusing
• Facial cottons: Shiseido Facial Cotton, Delon+ cotton rounds, and Up&Up Exfoliating cotton rounds – all the essentials! 😉
I try not to pack liquid foundation on vacation so I rely on powders and creams.
• MAC Matchmaker Concealer in #1 – I will just use mainly under eyes, around my nose and on my chin
• Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Buff 340
• Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation SPF35 in SP30 – this powder has light coverage and provides added sun protection, it’s a bit orange on me but on vacation I don’t mind the “bronzed” look. I’ll also use this as my transition eye shadow shade to blend
• Marcelle BB Cream-to-Powder Compact in Light to Medium – I debated whether to bring this or not but it’s a 4g travel size so it’s tiny, and it’s a great no-makeup makeup that can be applied with just my fingers
• NYX Power Blush in Angel – it was difficult to narrow down which blush to bring but I wanted something understated and Angel is definitely that
• Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint For Eyes in 04 Ample Amber – this will be my shadow base or I can wear it alone
• Lancôme Color Design Eye Shadow in Impress – perfect bronze shade for a single colour eye look
• CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara
• Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes pencil in 24L Taupe – I found this pencil sharpener topper in a stationary shop and it’s perfect to bring, in case I need to sharpen the pencils while on vacation.
• Shu Uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil in Seal Brown
• Not shown: Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick
Brushes and accessories:
• bdellium tools #755 Smudger, #776T Blending and #964T AP Blusher brushes – these have shorter handles and are part of the Travel Mineral 10pc. Brush Set
• The Body Shop kabuki – you know I love my kabukis! This has its own little carrying case.
• Shishida Seishindo Metallic Mascara Comb
• Travel eyelash curler – I don’t know what random brand this is, the label has mostly rubbed off but it’s my favourite for travel
• Anna Sui Eye-brow Brush 1 (brow spoolie)
Hair & Body:
• Curl Keeper Original – decanted this into a travel-size bottle (full size shown in photo for scale)
• Tresemme Tres Two Ultra Fine Mist hair spray – travel size can
• COLAB Extreme Volume Dry Shampoo in London – travel size can
• Various shampoo, shower gel, body lotion – these are from other hotel stays which I’ll be re-purposing for our B&B stays. I’m not sure if the B&Bs will provide toiletries like normal hotels do (I think they will?), but just in case. I highly doubt these little bottles will last us the full trip but we’ll be staying in a proper hotel in Ottawa so we should be ok.
• Not shown: deodorant and a sample size of Chloe perfume
What do you pack in your travel makeup bag?
Since we’ll be on the road for quite a bit – we’re thinking of downloading some Podcasts to listen to – are there any that you would recommend? 🙂