In 2014 I went on a bit of a makeup buying binge especially toward the end of the year. I keep a detailed multi-tabbed Excel spreadsheet that tracks my beauty stash, including date of acquisition (I’ll devote a blog post explaining my spreadsheet in the future, I promise). From the spreadsheet, I was able to determine that in 2014, I acquired:
- 22 blushes
- 56 eye shadows (I count individual shades in palettes, so a quad = 4 eye shadows)
- 112 nail polishes – I blame Illamasqua for this. The counter inside The Bay was closing shop and the brand was leaving North America so I had to not only stock up on my favourites, but also take advantage of the 25-50% clearance sale! I own a total of 46 Illamasqua nail polishes, and 39 of them were acquired in 2014…
At some point toward the end of the year, I realized that I really like my current stash and I truly wasn’t searching for “that next best thing”. So No-Buy 2015 was instated. What I’m trying to accomplish:
- Go through my “untrieds” (similar to those of you with unworn clothing in your closet still with the tags on them!)
- Finish up what I currently use
- Rediscover old favourites
- Not add to my current stash (or “clutter” as my bf calls it)
- Potentially purge items I don’t use
Mainly I’m focusing on not buying more cosmetics, and on a lesser extent, no unnecessary clothing and accessories. I don’t typically have issues with buying a lot of clothes and accessories, but again, 2014 proved to be somewhat of an anomaly because one of my favourite clothing shops, JACOB Boutiques, went bankrupt. Again, I just had to stock up and take advantage of the clearance sales!
It’s not one of the goals of my No-Buy, but a nice side effect of not buying unnecessary things is saving money. I should mention here that I’m financially stable and shopping is not a financial problem for me – I have no debts and I have healthy savings for the future. In fact, freeing up some of my spending on cosmetics and clothing in this year will mean I can channel that money toward other things (still pondering on what I can spend it on).
Here are the perimeters of my No-Buy 2015:
- No buying net new items in these categories:
- makeup (including nail polish)
- body care (including fragrance)
- clothes [undecided if full year]
- accessories (jewellery, shoes, purses) [undecided if full year]
- Replenishment of basics is fine (used up my face cream? Ok to buy a replacement)
- New items are allowed in product categories that I don’t currently own anything in, if I deem a newfound need for them (ie. physical exfoliant, lip scrub, brow tint)
- Buying presents in aforementioned categories for other people is ok (yes, this Marc Jacobs eye shadow palette is for “my friend”. Honest.)
That’s it. Pretty simple, right? Right?!