I declare this: C.O. Bigelow Supreme 2X Lip Shine is the best night time lip balm. Ever. Period.
- Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream (stinky)
- RoC Enydrial Repairing lip care (weird silicone-y consistency)
- Aquaphor by Eucerin (was my 2nd favourite before C.O. Bigelow came along)
- Nip + Fab Lip + Nip Fix [pure lanolin – yup it’s nipple balm] (goopy)
- Lucas’ Pawpaw Ointment [an Australian cult product] (slimy)
- Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 (not moisturizing enough)
- Nuxe Rêve de miel lip balm (waxy)
- Qtica Intense Overnight Lip Repair Balm [not shown] (this was my favourite overnight lip balm before I found the C.O. Bigelow Supreme 2X, its only downfall was how difficult it was to squeeze out of the tube, I finally busted the tube when I squeeze too hard one too many times)
But none of them measured up to C.O. Bigelow Supreme 2X Lip Balm for me. I own 3 out of the 4 available flavours:
C.O. Bigelow Vanillamint Supreme 2X Lip Shine No. 505
C.O. Bigelow Spearmint Supreme 2X Lip Shine No. 506
C.O. Bigelow Cinnamint Supreme 2X Lip Shine No. 504
What makes them so great? Let me list:
- hydrating (contains shea butter, sunflower seed oil)
- long lasting (stays put all night)
- smells and tastes delightful (my favourite is Vanillamint)
- readily available (Bath & Body Works)
- inexpensive ($8 for 14g and usually there’s a buy 2 get 1 free offer)
All the flavours are clear, with a thick balm (but not goopy or sticky) consistency. A small amount of the lip balm is all that is needed. There’s a bit of a tingle from the mint leaf oil but not irritating to the lips (and truth be told, I’m not normally a big fan of strong minty lip products). It dispenses through a slanted applicator – I apply straight from the tube to my lips with no mess. I’m trying to think of something I don’t like about this product and I just can’t!
I’m still hunting for the elusive Mentha No. 503 flavour which seems to not be available in Canada. In a pinch, the C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm No. 306 is a suitable substitute but it’s not as long lasting or as hydrating as the Supreme 2X formula in my experience. C.O. Bigelow Supreme 2X Lip Balm is available at Bath & Body Works but make sure it’s the Supreme 2X formula, they also carry the Mentha Lip Shine formula which isn’t nearly as good (runnier consistency, not as hydrating – more suitable for day time).
Let me know what your favourite night time lip balm is. And if it’s not C.O. Bigelow Supreme 2X Lip Shine, then may I suggest that you give it a try!
(Also let me know if you’re interested in reviews of any of the cult lip products listed above)