My blog turns TWO today!
I really hope it doesn’t go through a phase of terrible twos… 😉
I just noticed that WordPress didn’t release an annual report with stats like they did last year – ah well, it’s probably just as well since I’m trying to get away from all the numbers. It just breeds comparisons – we’re all here to blog and oogle at makeup, amirite? 😛
But, I would like to list the posts that were the most popular on the blog that were posted in 2016:
If you asked me to guess which were my most popular posts without looking at the stats, I would maybe guess 2 of these correctly! It’s so fascinating to me what posts turn out to be the most popular – there’s no science behind this, that’s for sure! 😛 My blog grew by more than 3x in page views from last year, which surprised me – I thought it would be 2x since it was the 2nd year. A big portion of my site hits were from strangers finding my blog through searches – pretty neat.
And here are some highlights relating to the blog from 2016:
• Improved my photography (got a new camera and added lighting) – they’re subtle differences but just looking at my Trash Stash posts from December vs January, it’s noticeable. Here’s January 2016:
And here’s December 2016:
It’s brighter and the image is more crisp. 🙂
• Got my own domain / upgraded to Premium: besides not having the “wordpress.com” after “stashmatters” there weren’t that many enhancements in the switch. I got to choose my own font. And got more storage space.
• Engaged brands: most notably I was approached my MUJI to attend a few of their open houses. They’re such a great brand and amazing to work with!
I did a total of 3 brand engagements last year and that was a great start for me.
• Expand topics: I posted a few posts on my travels, which were well-received. 😀
• More active on social media activities: I made a concerted effort to post on Instagram regularly. And, I think I’ve finally gotten the hand of Twitter from all the Twitter parties! 😉 Which brings me to…
• Beauty Podcast: I became Robin to Cat’s Batman over at the MyLipAddiction Beauty Podcast! I’m really digging the tights and cape. Cat said it was mandatory attire. 😉
• Met more bloggers! this was unplanned but a nice side effect to being more “out there” this year. 😎
When I review my goals from last year, I actually achieved everything I set out to do! 😀
And since I’m goal oriented, here are more things I’d like to accomplish in 2017 on the blog:
• Organize header / menu: I’ve been putting off doing this because I can’t decide the categories that should go up there. I might revamp the blog layout – might – but I don’t want to pay too much for a theme.
• Do a bunch of Megaposts. I did one in 2015 (Illamasqua Nail Varnish Megapost) and have been meaning to do more.
Top of the list: Essie polish collection (and other brands), eye shadow collection by brand (or colour family?), blush swatches, brand focus… these take time and I’m going to put more effort into them.
• Work that Pinterest. I’m going to retroactively pin all my photos on Pinterest. Have you noticed when you do an image search, the majority of the results are from Pinterest? It makes sense to get exposure there.
• Attend a Beauty Event. Maybe? I am still unsure about this! I like being behind-the-scenes / low key but these events seem like fun. And they often serve food. And usually it’s breakfast. You know I’m a sucker for breakfast foods. 😉
• Continue to expand topics. I mentioned that I’d post more about fashion and crafts last year but I didn’t do much of those. I’ve got a few knitting products on the go right now, and I plan to post about them.
This blog is a fun hobby for me, but interacting with all of you have made it much more than just some online place for me to post about makeup. I still can’t believe that real, off-line friendships have formed through blogging about eye shadows and facial oils – it’s a bit crazy to ponder, isn’t it! So thank you, THANK YOU, for reading and commenting. It’s been just “tremendous”. XD ❤
You’ll want to keep your eyes peeled here since I’m one of those people who like to express thanks through giving stuff away – it’s just how I am, ok? I’m just waiting for a Sephora order. *shakes fist at slow delivery*