Gosh, you guys! I never expected to have the kind of feedback in my previous post. Thank you. Truly. ❤ To give you a time frame, I still have posts planned that will take us into February. So I’m still here. Let’s set all that aside for now, ok? 🙂
Nerd alert: I’ve been looking forward to doing this summary for the past few months. This is the third (and final) year that I’ll be doing this tally:
My goal this year was to achieve one empty product per day for a minimum of 365 empty products. Let’s see how I fared.
Stats of my 2017 Trash Stash:
• I used up 319 full sized items and 130 travel / sample sized item for a total of 449 empties! 😀 I achieved my goal!
• This means I used up 1.23 products per day, or 37.42 products per month
• In 2017, the amount of empties was 61% higher than 2016, which kept a similar pace of growth year over year (in 2016, I increased by 62% over 2015).
• Skincare remained the largest category third year running, with 50% of the total, followed by 31% for body / hair products, and lastly by 19% for makeup. The breakdown of these categories shifted from the past 2 years, with skincare taking a larger share and makeup decreasing. Makeup is difficult to finish! Case in point: my Urban Decay eye shadow single in Naked:
I finally hit pan on this in April and have been tracking it ever since. Save for a few days here and there, I’ve been using this one colour as my transition shade the whole year. I am bummed out that I couldn’t pan it entirely, but I will keep trying!
• The average rating I gave to the products was 7.55 out of 10, which is lower than my scoring in the 2 previous years (both previous years I gave 7.8 out of 10). Either I tried more crappy products or I was more critical. 😛
• Of all the products I used up, I stated that I would repurchase 50% of them, and 37% I would not. 12% of them I said “maybe”. So, despite giving a lower overall rating, I would repurchase more of the products, compared to last year. 😛 But in reviewing the trend over the 3 years, it’s remarkable how consistent I was with my preferences.
• I rated 40 products the perfect score of 10 out 10 – when I review the list of products that achieve this, most are from my Holy Grail products list!
• I did not rate any product a 0 out of 10, and I rated only 2 products 1 out of 10; they were: Arezia Q10 Eye Mask and L’Action Cosmetique Wrinkle Reducer Hydrogel Patches. Avoid them!
• Sheet masks made up a significant portion of my Trash Stash especially after I did the 30 Day Masking Challenge in June. In total, for all of 2017, I used up 77 masks which is 17% of the total empties. This helped to skew the skincare percentage for the year – by contract, in 2016, I only used 14 masks.
• The Curl Keeper Original had the distinction of being the most used up product – I used it up 6 times over the 12 months (and a score of 10 out of 10!)
• I used up 27 mascaras in 2017 and my favourites included: CoverGirl LashBlast Volume, CoverGirl Clump Crusher, Buxom Lash, Max Factor MasterPiece Max, and L’Oreal Lash Paradise. The constant in all of this was the Etude House Dr. Mascara Fixer Volume Up Curl Fix which I used as a mascara base and finished 3 tubes during the year (also another 10 out of 10 product).
Here are all of my Trash Stash posts from 2017:
Thank you to all of you for coming along with me on the Trash Stash journey – they have been a lot of work, but ultimately so satisfying! 😀