For someone who’s a self-professed NON-lipstick junkie… I seem to own a lot of lip products. And we all know that lipsticks don’t have a long lifespan – really, one should be tossing lip products about 18 months after opening. I’m guilty of keeping mine for MUCH longer than 18 months! (but let’s be reasonable here, common sense should prevail – if the lip product doesn’t have a funky smell or a weird texture, it’s probably ok). All that said, I need to get rid of a whack of stuff that I hardly ever reach for – some have gone bad, and others are just taking up precious space:
I’m just going to do a rapid-fire purge on the lip products – there’s not much to say about each one since most of them are barely used, some not at all (for shame!) The ones that I did use and like, I’ll make a note.
• Mary Kay True Dimensions Lipstick in Wild About Pink – didn’t like this colour on me
• Red Earth Sheer Envy Hydrating Sheer Lipstick in Tea Rose – this went bad so quickly, disappointingly
• Maybelline Super Stay 14 Hr in Ravishing Rouge 065 – got this for free and never worn, just swatched – too bold for me but a nice formula though
• Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Effects Lipstick in Poppy Cream – gorgeous formula and colour, just outside of my comfort zone. I’ll sanitize this and pass onto a friend.
• Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Effects Lipstick in Wine Cream – bad colour on me
• Mai Beauty Lipstick in Stella – received in a loot bag and never worn or swatched, it’s a peachy pink shade. Will be passing onto a friend so I am not swatching it here.
• Vasanti Tinted Lip Balm in Cancun – great formula, just don’t wear this shade, I kept the shade Bahamas which is a muted rose colour
• L’Oreal Colour Riche Caresse lipsticks in Silky Java and Blushing Sequin – this line is discontinued now. I quite like the formula but these 2 shades aren’t my favourite. I’ve kept 2 shades of this formula: Sunset Angora and Cherry Tulle.
• Prestige Love & Kisses Lipstick in Kiss Me – lovely formula, just really old
• Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Coral Queen – way too bright for me
• Benefit Full Finish Lipstick in Lady’s Choice (Sephora 100pt perk) – I really like this lipstick but it’s quite old now. Too bad this formula is now discontinued – I’d always planned on getting the full size of this eventually.
My taste in lip products have changed over time – I used to like lipgloss but now I’m not into anything too shiny. I don’t mind some sheen so lipbalms and lip oils are more to my liking nowadays.
• NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss in 129 Beige – smells like cough syrup
• Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in 040 Nude Lustre – old but great formula
• Revlon ColorBurst Lipgloss in Sizzle and Fire – too smeary for such bright shades (but that Fire really packs a punch!)
Paula’s Choice Liquid Lipsticks in:
• Cherry Red
• Watermelon Pink
• Vintage Pink
I received 4 tubes as gwp, I’m keeping just 1 shade (Festive Rose). Nothing wrong with these except they’re not shades I’d wear – these are definitely not liquid lipsticks as per their name – they’re just a tinted non-sticky gloss.
• Maybelline Lip Elixir in Celestial Coral – don’t like the formula
• Buxom Big & Healthy Lipstick in Shanghai – gone bad and unused! [randomly placed with the lipglosses by accident, and also unswatched, oops]
• Vital Radiance Moisture Boosting Lip Shine in Sheer Spice – this is beyond OLD. Does anyone remember this brand? It was by Revlon and aimed toward the “mature” woman – unfortunately it flopped, but there were some standout products in the range.
• NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Nude Peach Fuzz – gave me corpse lips
• The Body Shop Hi-Shine Lip Treatment in 10 Perfectly Pink – ugly colour on me
• Sephora Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss in Rosy Glow – free gwp from 2009!
Maybelline Baby Lips in:
• 15 Cherry Me
• 20 Grape Vine
• 25 Pink Punch
• 85 Oh! Orange!
• 95 Strike a Rose (half tempted to keep this one, the scent reminds me of a lip gloss I had as a child!)
I did really like these with Cherry Me being my favourite of the lot, but they’ve expired. I can always repurchase if I miss them (well, except for the LE ones in the black tubes).
I’ve kept only 2 Maybelline Baby Lips: 090 Plummy Yummy, and the Dr Rescue one I got recently in 60 Berry Soft.
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in:
• 010 Raspberry Pie (unused!)
• 015 Tutti Frutti
• 040 Red Velvet (also unused!)
• 050 Berry Smoothie
• 070 Cherry Tart
• 085 Sugar Plum
I fully admit that I went overboard buying these in nearly every shade Revlon released, and these were often on sale for $3-4 each.
I’m going to give the unused ones to my friends so I’m not going to swatch them. I’ve kept 5 shades: 010 Pink Truffle (probably my favourite), 027 Juicy Papaya, 035 Candy Apple, 063 Wild Watermelon, and 075 Lollipop.
Alas, a large portion of my eos stash have gone off! I opened every one of my eos balms for a sniff test and noticed that a lot of them don’t close tightly – something wonky with the threads. What a terrible waste, really. The orange one is fairly new but I’m tossing because it smells like medicine crushed up and mixed with earwax. These are the ones going bye-bye:
• Medicated Tangerine (orange)
• Sweet Vanilla Nonsense (ivory)
• Watermelon Wonderland (red)
• Blueberry Potion (blue)
• Passion Fruit (purple)
• Barbados Heat / Wildberry (berry)
• Pomegranate Raspberry (plum)
• Aloha Hawaii (Strawberry Kiwi)
• Lemon Drop (yellow)
• Summer Fruit (deep pink)
• and a fake wannabe Bath & Body Works Liplicious in Apple
I can’t say I won’t be buying any more eos lipbalms but I will certainly try my best to use up what I have! 😉 I only have 5 eos lipbalms left now.
• Kose PURE UV-CUT SPF15 Hyaluronic Acid lip balm – old and didn’t like the formula
• Nuxe Rêve de miel lip balm – I know people love this but it’s just so waxy and didn’t hydrate my lips at all
• Roc Enydrial Repairing Lip Care – this was recommended by my boss and I didn’t like the formula, felt like I was applying glue stick to my lips
50 lip products gone!
I’m down to a very manageable amount of lip products now. Here’s a before and after of a few of my lipstick holders:
Do you have any of these lip products? Are you in need of a makeup stash purge too? 😉