I’m baaaack. 🙂 Thanks for all the well wishes last week! I’m about 50% better simply because it’s unavoidable for me to not be on the computer at work. I’m looking into an ergonomic assessment for my desk, and possibly doing some physio. I’ll be scaling back on my posting slightly but it’s challenging because I have so many backlogged posts! Here’s a post that I meant to post last week:
I waffle back and forth about doing monthly favourites but I think a quarterly list works for me. Here are the items that have been standouts for me lately:
All of these items would be rated 8 out of 10 or above in my Stash Worthiness! 🙂
• W7 HD Foundation – Random discovery due to the $20 makeup challenge – otherwise, I would not have given this another glance. Fantastic natural-finish foundation that wears beautifully – and only $5!
• Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector – read my review here
• Vincent Longo Water Canvas Foundation – rave review here
Whenever I wear this, I have good skin days and I get compliments about how nice my skin looks!
• Lise Watier Simply Nudes Eyeshadow Palette – review and swatches here
• Guerlain Divinora Eye Liner in 03 Brun Chocolat – I haven’t talked about this on the blog yet. I’ve been going through my eyeliners to do some purging and rediscovered this. It dries matte, wears like iron and is a nice brown colour (I find black to be too harsh for everyday wear).
• MAC Woodwinked eye shadow – This is actually my 2nd pan of this – not because I used the other one up but I hated it originally and gave it away. I found it to be too orange on me, but I decided to give it another chance. I’ve learned to use a putty toned transition shade to blend the edges which neutralizes the orange. This is a great all over lid colour – pigmented and blendable. No wonder it’s on MAC’s bestsellers list.
• Yves Rocher Intense Color Duo Eyeshadow in Prune & Powdery Taupe – I’ve not talked much about my love for YR on the blog yet, but this brand offers up some gems! This particular eye shadow duo is the perfect 2 shadow eye look: taupe all over and then the plum shade in the crease. I must own all of these duos.
• Nars Goulou Blush – I received this as my VIB Rouge welcome gift and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the rosy plum shade. Provides a natural flush with a golden glowy sheen – no glitters a la Nars Orgasm!
• Annabelle Blush-On in 48 Chestnut – I own a few Annabelle blushes and while they’re all high quality, lately I’ve been reaching for this rosy shade more frequently. I bought this during Hauluary for 50% off. (I know the Nars and Annabelle blushes look really similar in the swatch but I swear the Annabelle is slightly cooler and deeper in real life!)
• Rimmel Nude by Kate lipstick in #45 – Got this when I redeemed Optimum Points and have been wearing it often – it’s neutral nude shade that doesn’t make me look corpse-like. I have pigmented lips naturally and this just tones them down a notch. I might be alone in this but I really like the scent of Rimmel lipsticks (reminds me a bit of the fig scent of Estee Lauder lippies). I’m thinking of getting shade #43 which is a peachy toned nude.
• Revlon Nail Polish in Sophisticated 905 – Loved the formula and colour of this! Makes me want more Revlon polishes.
• Paul & Joe Figue 04 – This is perfection in a bottle – great formula, perfect brush, gorgeous packaging. This is the beginning of a new nail polish addiction.
• A England in Ascalon – This is my 2nd A England polish and the colour and formula are superb. My wish list for A England keeps growing.
• Nail Balsam by Trind – As you can see from my nearly empty bottle, I love this stuff. I bought this in Finland a few years ago and kept neglecting it. Last Fall I started using it regularly and have noticed an improvement to my cuticles and overall nails. I was excited to find this product listed on NailPolishCanada.com but it’s been out of stock for ages. Finally, I just checked and it’s back in stock, yay!
• MAC Oval 6 Brush – detailed eview here
• Trish McEvoy 37 Bronzer Brush – I plan to do a review on all of the Trish McEvoy I own – they’re incredibly well made. I’ve been enjoying this particular brush to use with my Nars Light Reflecting Loose Powder
• Inlgot 29PO brush – This is a smaller shader brush which I prefer for my eye shape, and the bristles are firmer which is perfect for laying down powders.
• Illamasqua Smoulder Brush – This is perfect for smudging out liner and eye shadow along my lower lash line. I have a back up of this.
• Surratt Relevée Lash Curler – review here – the best purchase of 2016 so far!
• Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Mineral – Wasn’t sure if primer is considered skincare or makeup but this is a great all around primer. It has gel-cream formula that sinks into the skin quickly and helps foundation adhere and last on the skin better. I won this in a giveaway last year from Madeleine Loves (thank you!) and forgot to use it until this January.
• Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream – review here
• Sukin Micellar water – This was a Winners score and I love it! Effective yet gentle, and inexpensive. I’m nearly finished this so it will make an appearance in the April Trash Stash.
• Yves Rocher Comforting Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream – I received this for free with an online order ages ago. I finally opened it when I finished my Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye (which I use for daytime) – I wasn’t sure if I’d like this better for night or day use. Turns out it’s a gel cream consistency that’s perfect for daytime. I noticed that YR repackaged this in a tube packaging now – good job!
• NeoStrata Moisture Infusion Serum – my default day serum, review here
• Saje Sensitive Elixir Calming Skin Serum – This was a surprise hit! I wanted a facial oil to mix with Paula’s Choice Vitamin C serum. This does a wonderful job in making my skin soft and hydrated – the base oils are rosehip, grapeseed, and evening primrose.
• Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm – I’ve had this in my stash for ages and finally opened it – and wow! This is amazing for removing all traces of makeup and it doesn’t strip the skin. And you don’t need a lot per use – less than a teaspoon – this tub will last me a while.
• Rebels Refinery Capital Vices Skull lipbalm in Luxuria (Passion Fruit) – I’ve neglected my eos balms in favour of this – the ingredients in this are amazing (coconut oil, beeswax) – and it’s made in Toronto! This comes in either black or this awesome neon pink – who doesn’t want a pink skull?
• Nivea Lip Butter in Blueberry Blush – I got this from a friend and I’ve been using it daily – it smells like blueberry yogurt and feels very smooth.
• Bath Body Works Waikiki Beach Coconut Ultra Shea Body Cream – I won’t harp on about the scent since you know I love it, but the Ultra Shea formula is really nice. I’ve not tried this formula before – it’s a step below a body butter but more emollient than a lotion.
• Body Shop Brazil Nut Beautifying Oil – This smells like roasted caramel nuts! 😀 I’ve been a fan of the Body Shop Beautifying Oils for a while – they leave the skin feeling silky and soft – the scent of this one is especially nice.
• Kiehl’s Coriander Richly Hydrating Hand Cream – Kiehl’s Coriander scent is another obsession of mine – a fresh green scent which is unfortunately discontinued. But they bring back the scent in limited edition items from time to time – one year it was the Creme de Corps Whipped Body Butter and last year it this hand cream. I’ve never tried Kiehl’s hand creams and formula is fantastic – creates a protective layer over the hands that lasts even after washing my hands.
Whew, that’s a lot of stuff. Have you tried any of my recent favourites? What have you been liking lately?